Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Been there, done that, got the medal

I think I've finally caught up on all the work I procrastinated over the weekend. One of the good things about procrastinating is that today I discovered a new spreadsheet that had a lot of the information that I had been digging through other spreadsheets for... already in the right categories! It saved me hours of work! Maybe I should spend more time browsing and less time manipulating Excel. Although playing with numbers in Excel is a good distraction to keep me from having to use Powerpoint... Despite my chronic calendar watching, I was too busy yesterday to realize that it was my 30th consecutive day in Iraq. That qualifies me for a new medal to wear on my uniform: the Iraq Campaign Medal. It joins several other ribbons and medals I can wear to say that I've "been there, done that." Frankly, this was one medal I thought I would never wear. If all goes well, this will be the only medal I earn while over here (except for the end-of-tour award). I hope to avoid those sorts of medals that require valor and heroism. Not that I am not filled with valor and all that stuff, but it would mean things had gone really bad if I had to be heroic. I got more mail today! I was pleasantly surprsied to receive a letter from a Vietnam Vet who happened to find this blog while browsing, and is offering to send some magazines to the troops I work with. I'm sure they will love a break from the routine reading material (Stars and Stripes newspaper!) and it's great to see one generation of soldier taking care of another. Halfway through another week. Time's flying for me. Hopefully for eveyone else, too!

No comments: