Monday, August 14, 2006

Right Here, Right Now

The week got off to a good start with its usual run of semi-long meetings, but at least everyone is in a reasonably good mood. I wanted to do some shopping today so I rode the bus around to one of the bigger DFACs and then the Post Exchange. In my wanderings, I encountered a lot of the Air Force people on base. Most of them work at the theater hospital here on the base. I think it's called the CASH... kind of like MASH but not mobile. I read an article about them today... and of course have to really respect them and the job they do. Frequently, in the interservice rivalry, the Army, Marine Corps, and Navy (in that order) like to tease the Air Force guys about how comparatively "young" their service is, and talk about all the old traditions in our other branches, going back centuries. But the Air Force is currently represented by the 332nd Expeditionary Air Wing, which traces its roots to the Tuskegee Airmen in WW-II. I have to concede, they have one of the best traditions of any unit out here. And their motto is quite appropriate, too, for their mission... "Right Here, Right Now."

No comments: