Wednesday, December 27, 2006

If you don't like the weather, wait ten minutes

It only took a week of being officially winter before the weather decided to catch up to the correct season. The nights have started to get really cold, just a few degrees above freezing. It’s nice to have a heater in my room to keep me comfortably warm.

It also rained yesterday… on and off for about ten minutes over the span of an hour. It truly was a demonstration of the old adage about not liking the weather and waiting for it to change. I walked in to the barber shop to get a haircut and the sun was out. I stepped out into a thunderstorm. By the time I walked to work, five minutes away, the rain had stopped.

I’m told we don’t get that much rain in Al Asad… normally only two inches per year, compared to over thirty in Baghdad and other places east of us. That’s fine with me, since the rain mostly just turns the dusty soil here into a sticky muck that gets over everything. It’s much easier to clean up the dry dust that gets over everything.

No comments: