Saturday, December 30, 2006

Winding Down

It's hard to believe it's almost 2007. We had our last staff meeting of 2006 today. People are generally in good spirits as we enter the new year, and I'm trying to temper my own enthusiasm as I start, hopefully, a month of "lasts" in Iraq.

The talk around the place today is, of course, everyone's reaction to Saddam's execution. Nobody is really celebratory about it. Most recognize it as a significant event in our lives, but I'm not sure we've all had time to really think about what it means. Like many things that happen here, I'm sure their significance will be much clearer after several more years of history show the impact of them.

I'll be taking the usual half-day off for New Year's Eve, and celebrating a little bit with friends (without the usual champagne, of course). That'll be good for tomorrow. Tonight, I'll be able to watch the Meineke Car Care Bowl live. Go Navy!

No comments: