Sunday, July 16, 2006

It's like riding a bicycle

Whoever invented the phrase about doing something you haven't done in years, saying, "It's like riding a bike" must never have ridden a bike for the first time in ten years. I got my light-equipped bike back from my friend after watching Superman (and I'm not sure what all the hype was about), and rode it back to the office, and then a few miles around base to do some training. My philosophy was that I could ride anywhere. Somewhere in this process I realized that my muscles aren't quite used to the effort required. My legs are sore and my back is sore. I think I need to work up to that "around the base" ride, and start more simply than I did. At least I'm able to get around more quickly than walking. And I only crashed once when trying to go over a curb! Heh. In other news, I've added a link to another blog associated with a JCCS-1 sailor (apparently all three of my fellow JCCS-1 bloggers are named Mike!). Enjoy reading sdsailor (possibly to be renamed later) when you get a chance. And speaking of JCCS-1, if you haven't had a chance to read the letter posted on our command's homepage in the Bravo Zulus section, it's a great read. It's from General Chiarelli, the commander of coalition forces here in Iraq, written to the Chief of Naval Operations, who sent us all here. His comment regarding what we're doing here:

Sir, I honestly believe this support will reduce casualties more than any other single action of the long war.

It's a tough expectation to live up to, but I certainly hope he's right. And recent trends seem to be in that direction.

1 comment:

obgirl042 said...

Thanks for linking to our blog Dan. I'll let you know if and when we change the name. Take care of yourself and be careful on that bike for goodness sake! :)