Sunday, July 23, 2006

Recreation & Vehicles

Another Sunday down. I didn't do much work today, and don't have much to do tomorrow, but I am finding some productive side projects to fill my time, which is a plus. I was able to see the Robin Williams movie RV this evening. Very amusing, especially considering the fact that my wife and I have toyed with the idea of an RV vacation. I think I'm going to reconsider that. A reader commented on my post from a few days ago, about being able to see so many movies, and enjoy fine food. (All right, I'll admit the lobster and King Crab aren't that good, but if you drown anything in butter it tastes great!) While I tend to highlight some of the few really nice things (Baskin Robbins for dessert every day), they really are just a few bright spots in an otherwise bleak environment here. It's certainly not like being at a base back home. For one thing, everyone (well, at least all the Army and Navy people... and a small minority of the Air Force) is carrying around a weapon. And you see people all the time who have just come back, or are preparing to go outside the wire on missions. There's definitely a sense of being close to the front lines, even if not in actual combat. The occasional explosion of a mortar round reminds you that you are in a war zone, and there are always fighter jets and helicopters flying overhead. And, of course, the base itself is sort of an "island" that you can feel trapped on. There is really only so much to do and so many places to go. So... in spite of the ability to escape reality for a few hours in a movie, or enjoy fine food or dessert at the DFAC, there's no forgetting that this isn't home. Well, enough of those depressing thoughts. Back to the fun stuff. Vehicles. As I've mentioned before, some of the guys I work with like to do custom modifications to vehicles (in addition to their normal jobs of repairing just about any damage they get). They have been on the "Monster Garage" show, as I said on my first day here. They have made, among other things, a 500-horsepower Humvee. As one of their grand projects before they head home, they're doing another interesting project. A "stretch humvee". Seats six instead of the usual four. They have doctored a picture of a regular one to show what it's going to look like... so far they have the frame and are working on the drive train. It's fun to watch them put it together. Maybe I'll become an auto mechanic for my second career....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dan,
Thanks for the response. I understand your perspective a lot better now. Appreciate you taking the time to read and write. Have a great day.

Dan