Sunday, July 09, 2006

It's not the heat, it's the humidity

The desert is one of the last places I would expect it to be humid, but the previous week has been a bit unusual for weather, in that it has been humid. Not the thick, pea-soup humidity that I recall from the U.S. East coast, but just enough to make the not-quite-so-hot temperatures (about 110-ish) a bit more uncomfortable than the dry days when it got to 115. In any case, we're a third of the way through the month, and someone was energetic enough to actually research and find out that July is the hottest month here (followed closely by August and June). Lucky me to have arrived just in time for it. At least the balance of my tour here will be in the more comfortable temperatures. As is usual on Sundays, the work load was light (meaning fewer meetings) but tomorrow will strike back with a vengeance (a few extra, and very long meetings!) I was able to spend a few hours throwing together another useful Visual Basic program (in Excel) that the soldiers in my battalion can use. I'm pretty dangerous with it and I don't even know that much yet. Fear me when I actually start learning how to do the "neat" stuff. Some aspects of the job are very rewarding (usually those involving helping people face to face) and some are immensely frustrating (usually those involving dealing with inanimate objects). On the balance, at least there's some variety.

No comments: