Wednesday, June 21, 2006

The Stars Align

Happy Summer!

I'm sure you are all aware that today marked the Summer Solstice, remarkable for being the longest day of the year. So I can now say I have successfully completed the longest day I will spend in Iraq. I took a photo of the sunset to commemorate the moment.

More remarkable today was the interesting sense of timing on something job related. I've mentioned the past several days that I have been spending a lot of free time working on an analysis project, and learning lots of tricks in Microsoft Excel, and programming in Visual Basic. Well, today, just as I put the finishing touches on the first version of my project, I got an email about certain tactics we will have to recommend, and it turns out my project is a perfect way to help decide which recommendation to make. I am trying to figure out if I was really that good with the foresight, or just plain lucky with the timing — the stars aligning. In any case, it's nice to get a new "complicated" task and already have put in all the heavy lifting to get the answer almost instantly.

The summer weather is definitely going to heat up. The forecast for the weekend is 120. I'm told it can get up to 135... I just don't even want to think about that yet. Good thing we get free gatorade.

No comments: